Dr Mehnaz Atiq Ahmed is a Professor and one of the most senior Pediatric Cardiologist in Pakistan. She graduated from India where she was awarded the President’s medal and a Gold medal along with several awards for securing the first position in merit. She trained in Pediatrics at NICH, Karachi and then joined the Aga Khan University hospital. Her training in Pediatric Cardiology was in NICVD and East Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden. Then she proceeded to train in Interventional Pediatric Cardiology in Hospital for Sick Children (Sick kids), Toronto, Canada.
Professor Mehnaz Atiq worked at the Aga Khan University for almost 28 years. She established the fellowship program in Pediatric cardiology and trained 7 Pediatric Cardiologists, four of whom are working in faculty position in that hospital. She was the first doctor to have started fetal echocardiography in Pakistan, in 1997.
She has performed over 2500 interventional procedures in Congenital heart diseases in children, adolescents and adults of all ages. She has also helped in establishing Pediatric Interventional Cardiology services at the French Medical Institute for Children, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Professor Mehnaz Atiq specializes in the following procedures:
- Pediatric transthoracic echocardiogram in neonates, children and adolescents
- Transthoracic echocardiogram in adults with congenital heart disease
- Transesophageal echocardiogram in children and adults
- Fetal echocardiography
- Cardiac catheterization in patients of all ages having congenital heart disease, from newborn to geriatric age.
- Interventional Cardiology procedures include
- Percutaneous closure of patent ductus arteriosus
- Percutaneous closure of Atrial septal defect
- Percutaneous closure of Ventricular septal defect
- Balloon valvuloplasty for aortic and pulmonary valve stenosis
- Stenting and balloon angioplasty for coarctation of aorta
- Stenting of patent ductus arteriosus
- Perforation of atretic pulmonary valve
- Balloon atrial septostomy
- Stenting of peripheral pulmonary arteries
- Temporary pacemaker insertion, pericardiocentesis and many other emergency procedures
- Head up tilt table test, Holter monitoring, ambulatory blood pressure monitoring
Professor Mehnaz Atiq is the Dean of the Pediatric Cardiology Faculty at the College of Physicians and Surgeons. She is the senior most examiner for fellowship exam in Pediatric Cardiology. She is a member is several National and International Societies in the field.
Professor Mehnaz Atiq is also an Adjunct Professor at Dr Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research, International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences, University of Karachi.mail.com
MBBS, FCPS (Paediatrics)
FCPS (Paediatric Cardiology)
Thursday & Saturday
3pm to 6pm
(+9221) 358 62 301 to 03
(+9221) 353 740 72-5
For appointments please contact: